You are viewing nojojojo

June 3rd, 2015


02:16 pm - Welcome!
Welcome to the "unofficial" blog of N. K. Jemisin. This is where I chat with friends about the minutia of my life: my cat, dating, politics, all the boring stuff that people looking for my writing probably have no interest in, or which I don't care to share with the world. Thus, this blog is now friendslocked, although a lot of the old posts are still public. If you'd like to be friended, post a comment here, and I'll consider adding you. No guarantees, note.

My "official" blog is at nkjemisin.com, if you're actually interested in my writing. (There's an LJ feed here: nkjepiphany.) I'll also be posting updates there about my current and upcoming publications, including The Killing Moon, the first of a duology that's out in May 2012 from Orbit Books.

So come on in. =)

(94 comments | WTF?!)

June 8th, 2012


07:22 am - That meme thing
...that's going around. Wow, remember when memes like this were all over LJ? Remember when I posted to LJ more than once every few months? Remember when LJ worked most of the time and wasn't constantly under attack as an agency of the Russian dissidence? ::wistful sigh:: Anyway, in honor of the fact that I just passed 100 pages on the UMSP and actually have a page 77, I'm doing this one. Via marthawells.

1. Go to page 77 (or 7th) of your current ms
2. Go to line 7
3. Copy down the next 7 lines – sentences or paragraphs – and post them as they’re written. No cheating.


"Do you fear me?" he asked. The words were soft. He always spoke to her softly, as if she were a horse that might spook at any moment.

"Yes," she said, because she did.

"Good. You should. I am not sorry for the pain I've caused you, little one, because you needed to learn the lesson of that pain. What do you understand about me, now?"

She shook her head, then made herself answer, because of course that was the point. "I have to do what you say, or you'll hurt me."

"And?"

She closed her eyes tighter. In dreams, that made the bad creatures go away.

"And," she added, "you'll hurt me even when I do obey."

(2 comments | WTF?!)

January 3rd, 2012


04:01 pm - And just like that, my day was made.
Twitter notice stating Edward James Olmos is now following you.

::fangirl faint::

ETA: Yes, I know he probably follows everyone who follows him. I saw the nearly-equal numbers of his followers and following. I DON'T CARE. IT'S EDWARD JAMES OLMOS, BITCHES.
Current Mood: giddygiddy

(7 comments | WTF?!)

October 13th, 2011


01:12 pm - Mississippi Personhood Amendment
Originally posted by james_nicoll at Mississippi Personhood Amendment
Originally posted by soldiergrrrl at Mississippi Personhood Amendment
Originally posted by twbasketcaseat Mississippi Personhood Amendment
Originally posted by gabrielleabelleat Mississippi Personhood Amendment
Okay, so I don't usually do this, but this is an issue near and dear to me and this is getting very little no attention in the mainstream media.

Mississippi is voting on November 8th on whether to pass Amendment 26, the "Personhood Amendment". This amendment would grant fertilized eggs and fetuses personhood status.

Putting aside the contentious issue of abortion, this would effectively outlaw birth control and criminalize women who have miscarriages. This is not a good thing.

Jackson Women's Health Organization is the only place women can get abortions in the entire state, and they are trying to launch a grassroots movement against this amendment. This doesn't just apply to Mississippi, though, as Personhood USA, the group that introduced this amendment, is trying to introduce identical amendments in all 50 states.

What's more, in Mississippi, this amendment is expected to pass. It even has Mississippi Democrats, including the Attorney General, Jim Hood, backing it.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I made a meager donation to the Jackson Women's Health Organization this morning, and I received a personal email back hours later - on a Sunday - thanking me and noting that I'm one of the first "outside" people to contribute.

So if you sometimes pass on political action because you figure that enough other people will do something to make a difference, make an exception on this one. My RSS reader is near silent on this amendment. I only found out about it through a feminist blog. The mainstream media is not reporting on it.

If there is ever a time to donate or send a letter in protest, this would be it.

What to do?

- Read up on it. Wake Up, Mississippi is the home of the grassroots effort to fight this amendment. Daily Kos also has a thorough story on it.

- If you can afford it, you can donate at the site's link.

- You can contact the Democratic National Committee to see why more of our representatives aren't speaking out against this.

- Like this Facebook page to help spread awareness.




(WTF?!)

June 25th, 2011


07:25 pm - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
::yelling, tears, Hammerdance, the usual::
Current Mood: ecstaticecstatic

(46 comments | WTF?!)

May 26th, 2011


08:35 pm - Need makeup recs
I'm in France. I'm in motherfuckin' France. (Sorry for the profanity; just needed to say that to make it real.)

Posting pics over on FB if you care, but there's a problem -- I'm not including any photos of myself because I look like a greaseball. I don't wear makeup much, and one of the reasons I don't is because I always look shiny when I wear it, no matter how matte the makeup or how much powder I put on. It's not usually a huge issue for me, but whenever I take flash photos the shiny-ness is really, really noticeable. And all day today, people have been snapping flash photos of me every other minute.

So, folks who wear makeup -- I need suggestions for oil-reducing base and powder. (Or just shine-reducing; the problem isn't always oil, but I think that's part of it.) Note that it has to be from a makeup line that includes shades for dark skin; stuff like Shiseido is obviously not a good match for me. I'm currently using a line ostensibly made for black women (Iman, yes by her), and it ain't working. I used to like Flori Roberts, but it's nearly impossible to find in stores these days, and I don't buy stuff like makeup via mail order. So it needs to be popular enough to find in stores, but beyond that I'm open to anything.

(11 comments | WTF?!)

April 25th, 2011


12:10 am - Story so nice she had to post it twice
Double-posting here and at the problog.

Ya'll, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is a Hugo nominee as well as a Nebula nominee this year. And you know what that means.

That's right. It's Sparkly Pink Text time.

HELL TO THE YEAH.


I have to admit, I half-expected the Nebula. Enough people had the book on their proto-awards lists that I felt I had a fighting chance. But given the Hugos' noted bias in favor of science fiction (and against fantasy), more notable embrace of well-known names (vs unknown n00bs), and most notablest aversion to girl cooties or any hint thereof, I didn't think I had a chance there. So when I got the email regarding the nom -- 2 weeks ago, had to sit on it all this time, thought I was gonna die -- I was indeed surprised and delighted.

And even more delighted now that I can see the full list of nominees. I know so many of these folks! Honestly, I'm thrilled to see Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire) on the novel slate with me re Feed, because I loved that one. But also pleased to see fellow Altered Fluidian Saladin Ahmed on the Campbell slate! And Ted Chiang's up again! And Mary Robinette Kowal! And John Joseph Adams! And Nick Mamatas! And Clarkesworld is on the slate again (hope they win this time)!

Only thing that annoys me is that the best editor slate is missing my editor, Devi Pillai -- who I believe is also Mira Grant's editor, though don't take my word on that. If so, though, and two of the five Hugo-nom'd authors have the same editor this year, then that editor ought to be on the ballot too, I'm thinking.

But that's a quibble, and this is a kickass slate, and I'm truly, truly honored to be on it. Hell yeah I am.

ETA: Somoene at the problog pointed out that Feed's editor is DongWon Song; whoops. But he deserves some consideration too; he edits Kate Griffin's books. (And she should've made the ballot, too, dammit.)
Current Mood: bouncybouncy
Tags:

(41 comments | WTF?!)

January 11th, 2011


10:14 am - Tell me about...
...air coolers, as opposed to air conditioners? If any of you know?

Here's the sitch: at my new job, it's hot. Insanely, agonizingly hot. It's an elderly building, and so they compensate for the chance that it might be poorly insulated by cranking up the heat. To 9000 degrees Farenheit. I'm joking; it's only 95. (My boss has a thermometer in her office; that's not a joke.) It's also dry, because this is radiant heat via pipes that run through every office. Not radiators, which would add moisture; radiant, which basically just cooks us with dry heat. Remember that it's the dead of winter, so that means we cook and sweat all day, then go outside into freezing air to go home.

But the offices are enclosed, so we don't want to go with traditional air conditioners. And personally speaking, I'm kind of horrified at the waste of energy that this overheating represents, so I'd like to find an environmentally good solution. Someone mentioned "swamp coolers" to me, which I investigated and found are officially called "evaporative coolers". So now I'm looking at these, since few appliance dealers seem to carry them. Compact Appliance caters primarily to granola city-dwelling types who live in tiny apartments, so it seemed the perfect place to look.

But I've never even heard of these things before, and have no idea how to make a good informed decision on them. Has anyone tried using one of these? How much do they cool? We'd be comfortable with a steady 80 degrees, I think; doesn't have to be cold. Just humane.

(16 comments | WTF?!)

December 8th, 2010


05:28 pm - So, uh, yeah... DREAMBLOOD!
...it's official now: I sold 2 more books to Orbit!

(Actually I've known about this for 2 weeks now, so I'm just making it public. If you saw the flocked version, which involved a lot more exclamation points, no need to recongratulate.)
Current Mood: still so happy

(20 comments | WTF?!)

October 21st, 2010


10:39 am - Wiscon: Thoughts on the disinvitation of Elizabeth Moon
In light of this.

First thought: That's nice. 'Bout time.

Second thought: You had a good start! Now work harder. (From a fortune cookie message I got a few years back, coincidentally on the occasion of my book deal; I keep this thing in my wallet. Better than a condom, man.)

Trimming for length of flists.Collapse )

(76 comments | WTF?!)

Nora, World. World, Nora.

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Epiphany 2.0
> previous 10 entries

Some of my Online Fiction
"On the Banks of the River Lex"
"Non-Zero Probabilities"
"The You Train"
"The Brides of Heaven"
"The Narcomancer"
"Cloud Dragon Skies"
"Red Riding-Hood's Child"
"L'Alchimista"
"Too Many Yesterdays, Not Enough Tomorrows"
> previous 10 entries
> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com